Daylight Savings will start Sunday, March 8, 2020. That is THIS weekend! Need an eNugget® to remind drivers of the added challenges? Luma has you covered! This week’s Learning Strategy will provide tips for using our eNugget® Here Comes the Sun with face-to-face, online, or with blended instruction. Do not leave your drivers’ blinded by the sun!
Our free Luma Learning Lessons include objectives, estimated time, materials and instructional procedures for classroom and online/blended teaching. We will provide strategies on how to use our new LumaLive technology to collaborate virtually in real-time. We include these pillars from our learning research to illustrate where they are infused in our lessons.
For decades there has been discussions of interaction types in education. (Anderson, 2003) Most interaction types observed in driver training traditionally are learner to instructor or learner to content. Moreover, most interaction time with driver training and orientation is synchronous or at the same time. This Learning Strategy is going to help you think about ways you can hold training without a physical classroom.
The following Lesson is broken down into two different interaction times.
- Arrange the room in tables and put 1 artifact on each table and pads of paper and writing utensils.
- Have the learners sit in groups at the tables.
- Ask the learner if they have ever had to drive directly in the sunlight. What strategies did they use to drive into the sunlight? Make a list of the strategies they used.
- Now, point out the artifact that is on their table. Have them write a message from the perspective of the artifact to the driver.
- Give them 3-5 minutes per object and then switch objects. At the end, have one person per group go around and share their artifact perspectives.
- Optional: You can have the groups vote on their favorite group’s artifact perspective. Pass out polarized sunglasses as prizes for the top group.
- Launch a LumaLive session. Ask the learner if they have ever had to drive directly in the sunlight. What strategies did they use to drive into the sunlight? Make a list of the strategies they used on the white board.
- Show an image or an actual artifact. Have them write in the chat box a message from the perspective of the artifact to the driver.
- Discuss the chats when 2-3 minutes are up.
- Assign the Luma’s eNugget® on Here Comes the Sun or a similar online content.
- Have them complete it while on LumaLive and see how well they do on the assessments.
- Discuss what they learned together on the call.